"That smells delicious" - Rory


Welcome to another edition of: FREE STUFF FROM KROGER

This time, they sent me a whole envelope FULL of coupons for FREE items! Not 25¢ off or whatever... FREE.  All things that can be found in their freezer section, too.  

Now, I've shopped the freezer section for years... technically my entire life, I just wasn't paying for it the first 18 or so years (thanks, mom!)  I've eaten anything from hot pockets (please don't judge) to a fancy complete meal like the ones from P.F. Chang's (again, don't judge... I know they're expensive, but surely you know I used a coupon or at least cashed in on a great sale!)

But, I really enjoy fresh food, that I can mix up and cook myself to our taste and preferences.  This project did just that.  And yes, it was a bit of a project, only because there were SO MANY choices.

Kroger has compiled a fabulous list of some great recipies.  You can find it here.
I had to choose one of the dishes, which range from just a drink, to appetizers, finger foods, all the way up to full meals and of course desserts. 

We narrowed our search, even saved our favorites to my Pinterest #FreeSample board, and decided to try the
Southwestern Rice and Smoked Chicken Skillet 

Spoiler Alert: Yes, it's just as delicious as it sounds.

Here's a preview:





































I'll go ahead and say what I did to tweak it.  I must have done something right, because the hubs immediately said this recipe is a keeper!

The freezer item we used our #MyMagazineSharing coupon for was the frozen Grilled & Ready Chicken.  This is the first ingredient listed, and the first change I made to my dish.  I didn't do it on purpose, but apparently everyone else in town wanted this chicken, too.  We shop on Sunday evening, so maybe they were stocking that night. Either way, I picked out a bag of the plain old not-seasoned chicken. Hey, it was at least grilled!  (Obviously, it's in the name.) 

We also couldn't find the yellow cheddar Knorr bag, but we did find a white cheddar one.  We're not picky, all cheddar is good cheddar!! We also used a bag of frozen corn instead of the canned, because this is a freezer-centric post, and the frozen bags are way better than the salty canned ones! Yes, we bought a can of black beans... but I rinsed them well first. 

- - Now, I should note here that I asked my husband to stop on the way home for bananas that day.  He got those. He also came home with a pan of cornbread.  Why? I'll give you a hint.... the answer was on the back...

                  


So, here's a picture of all the other ingredients I used for this dish.  Since the chicken wasn't pre-seasoned... I chose my own. That probably ended up being the best decision of the meal!  Since this is a "southwestern" dish, I grabbed the Chili Powder as well as Tumeric and some Parsley.  






Of course, we also grabbed the chips and salsa, because that's the only way to be authentic. Although I do sometimes hate they break, once I went Cantina thin chips, I just can't go back!














 Oh, and of course.... sharp cheddar cheese! 
(Note my Kroger Private Selection salsa and cheese, here)  :)















NOW FOR THE FUN PART!



 Everything just gets thrown into the skillet and cooked until perfection.  

 



To the right is what that looks like.  Literally bursting with flavor!








My little fluffy shadow was all about telling me it was ready and he could be my taste tester. He was sadly disappointed, but by my side nevertheless. Such a sweetheart. <3    >^_^<

Almost done!!!!!

Well, there you have it.  Super easy, very delicious, and quick, just like they said it would be.  I've included the recipe below, which again can be found here: 

https://kroger.softcoin.com/programs/kroger/fresh/?banner=Kroger&origin=fresh#recipes/southwestern-rice-and-smoked-chicken-skillet




Southwestern Rice and Smoked Chicken Skillet

This one-pan recipe is simple and delicious!
Total Time: 22 min.  | Prep Time: 10 min.  | Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS

  • ½ bag (22 oz. full bag) frozen Grilled &amp; Ready® Applewood Flavored Chicken Strips
  • 1 package (5.7 oz.) Knorr® Cheddar Broccoli Rice Sides
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • ½ cup yellow onions, diced
  • 1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
  • ½ cup canned corn kernels
  • ½ cup canned black beans
  • ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Cook onions and tomatoes for 3 minutes; add chicken and heat for an additional 2 minutes, stirring often.
  2. Stir in the corn, beans and rice with 1 cup of water; cook for 5 minutes.
  3. Stir in an additional ½ cup of water and heat for an additional 2 minutes.
  4. Finish with cheddar cheese and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Breathe - #freesample

The Free Stuff Guest Blog You Never Knew You Needed

Time for your "First Day"!!